THANKFUL FOR FERNDOWN, UK

I decided not to post pictures for this blog post due to the sensitivity of this topic. Hello Gorgies! This week I was reminded of how we are always quick to respond to negative comments and news but never take time out to be thankful and respond to the positive comments and remarks that we receive.

I live near a police station. A couple of weeks ago my friend and I were taking photos outside said police station because it had a nice brick wall that was a potentially great back drop. One of the officers came by to warn us not to take photos inside the station (we were not planning on doing that). It's not what he said it's how he said it. He made small talk, asked us more about why we were taking photos there and then proceeded to tell us where we were not allowed to go. I did not for one second feel threatened or discriminated because of my colour. The police officer was a white male. He was very chatty, respectful and had a very friendly aura.

Down my street, every time I leave my house to walk to the bus stop I get people greeting me and asking about my day. They joke about something I am doing (like eating while I walk), they ask what I do in life and wish me all the greatest wishes. I work in a care home where the residents don't feel like people I 'have' to be nice to but they feel like family. I never go in sad or angry because I know that I am respected and appreciated.

I live in a place that is about ninety-nine percent white and not even once have I received a racist comment. No one makes me feel different for being black and I don't treat anyone differently for being white. I do get asked questions like, 'do you have clubs in Botswana' and some along those lines but it is never out of spite or malice but always out of curiosity and hunger to know more. Unfortunately we live in a world that paints Africa as a no-good disease stricken and war torn 'country' and not a vast continent with many countries that have a lot to offer. Because of this fact I never feel offended when people ask me questions that may seem rather silly. At least they want to know about it after all not everyone has been to Africa. Their only references are wildlife documentaries and charity advertisements.

A conversation I had with someone today regarding racism made me think of how far we have come and still how far we have to go. For every police officer that shoots black people to death when it can be avoided, there is an officer whose heart has a great depth of love regardless of race. For every ignorant person who treats Africans like idiots who have nothing to offer, there is a loving person who knows that geographical location has nothing to do with someone's ability to contribute.

I was inspired to write this in order to encourage everyone to keep being kind and loving to one another. Every day before I go to work I pray that I brighten someone's day and that if I offend someone I would be humble enough to admit that I was wrong and ask for forgiveness. But in order to do this, we have to focus on the positive side. This does not mean ignoring the bad but it means knowing that the bitter makes the sweet even sweeter.

That's why I am so thankful for Ferndown. In a world where racism is the norm, Ferndown reminds me of the great love humanity is capable of giving and receiving.

Comments

Popular Posts