It has finally sunk in: health is beauty






Photo by Doyin








After years of battling with self-image issues, it has finally sunk in: health is beauty. Eating the right foods at the right amount for your body and working out adequately for your body is beauty. Although this seems rather common sense now, it is unfortunate that not a lot of girls know this. I am one of those women who as a girl, equated beauty to being rail thin.





I put on 3 kilos during 'quarantine'. And I have struggled with this for over a month now. I feel fairly good about it now because I am at a healthier weight. However, what I don't feel good about is my food choices. I gained weight because I was eating the wrong foods in the wrong amounts. Which is not ideal for the body because it has to work extra hard to deal with the excess. And having IBS, eating the wrong foods can cause feelings ranging from discomfort to debilitating. However that is a topic for another day. I do mention a little bit about it in my previous post Remembering all the foods I could eat pre-IBS https://www.lorraine-moalosi.com/remembering-all-the-foods-i-could-eat-pre-ibs/









Why do I say health is beauty?









Photo by Alice








The one thing I think we should all be learning especially in light of the pandemic, is that life is not only short but it is unpredictable. Could you have ever thought about a pandemic that forces people to isolate? I couldn't have. So I believe the nature of life forces us to mature to a point where social media and culture cannot stake a claim on our minds. Society tells us which body type is beautiful. Back when I was a child, it was tall, skinny with a big bosom. Now it's tiny waist and huge bum. Unfortunately many people have lost their lives trying to attain different standards of beauty. Either dying as an aftermath of say a Brazilian bum lift or anorexia etc.





But being healthy enough to live your life to the fullest should be everyone's biggest goal. However, I realise that sadly it isn't everyone's biggest goal. Starting with me. I have never really prioritised health over aesthetic. For instance, just 6 months ago my doctor told me I had high cholesterol even though I was a UK size 6. Aesthetic is not tantamount to health. Really, we should all want to be healthy enough, as far as within our control, to experience all that life has for you.

















... I won't be a hypocrite









I won't be a hypocrite. At the moment, I know that I do have the 'current Instagram/Fashion nova body'. And there is a certain confidence that comes with knowing that something you have is highly desirable and sought after. But the sobering fact is, I didn't work for my body, I was just born with it. So I can't really let it get to my head. It is not an achievement it just is.










"What waist?" Doyin (2020)











And that booty










Nevertheless, I have struggled to embrace my body because my body is not to be objectified or fetishised. When I gain a bit of weight, people comment on my body more than on me/my personality/my character as a human being. It's like they can't see past my body. I know some of you might think, that's a good problem to have but trust me, it is not. I want to be treated with respect just like any other human being and not be objectified. But fearing objectification is not a valid reason for me to shrink myself and starve myself so I can have a smaller bum. My whole point to this post is to urge all of you guys to embrace your body. Hopefully at the end of this post it would have sunk in that health is beauty.









5 ways to be healthier









1. You are what you eat









Food from Honi Poke on Margaret Street in London








This is the truth of all truths. You are what you eat. Eat crappy food, expect your body to become crappy and eat the right food, expect your body to be right. Please remember that aesthetic is not tantamount to health. I am not talking about your body in terms of appearance. There are far bigger concerns when it comes to your body than appearance. For example, diseases, conditions, optimum function, energy and vitality. Bear these in mind when making food choices. Ask yourself, are my food choices going to prevent avoidable diseases or conditions such as obesity, anorexia (I know these are mostly psychological depending on each individual), high cholesterol etc. Are these giving me the most nutrients, sustainable energy and building me up instead of compromising me? You are what you eat.









2. Exercise daily










Daily exercise is as simple as walking










This is not that deep!! People think way too much when it comes to exercise. Walk! That's your foundation. Get your 10 000 steps daily. And you are already healthier. If you want, then you can build it up from there to include workouts, gym, HIIT and/or high intensity activities.









3. Drink less

















Drinks are laden with calories and lots of simple sugars which don't give your body much nutrition. Where possible stick to black coffeee, black tea and other simple drinks such as water (absolutely zero calories). Treat these as treats or celebratory drinks. Alcohol is high in sugar and hard on your liver so this is priority number one in things to minimise. I personally don't drink anymore because I don't like the taste and the after effects of even say one glass of wine. Haha. I am light weight. I know. In a way that's handy because that's even more reason to avoid drinking.









4. Drink more water









Image by Sebastian Ganso from Pixabay








At least 8 cups (250 ml cup) a day. Here are a few suggestions, firstly, maybe get yourself a 1l water bottle and take a few sips throughout the first half of your day. Refill and do another litre for the rest of your day. Secondly, you might keep a water bottle by your bedside so you can drink at least 250 ml first thing when you wake up. Thirdly, how about drink a cup of water before every meal, if you eat 3 meals and 2 snacks daily, that's already 1.25l. Finally, you can try fruit and/or veg infused water (homemade no sugars added). Maybe a cup of coffee or tea without milk or sugar?









5. Finally... get some sleep









Image by congerdesign from Pixabay








I wrote a whole post about having systems and routines to optimise your day. Sleep is an integral part of health and optimum performance in everything in life. You can read the post here on 13 habits that've changed my life drastically https://www.lorraine-moalosi.com/13-habits-thatve-changed-my-life-drastically/. But yeah. You need sleep. Not just any kind of sleep. Quality sleep. Have a set bedtime and wake up time.









Has it finally sunk in that health is beauty?









Photo by Anitah








Health is beauty because:





  • When you are healthy your skin glows
  • You body works at it's optimum best (as far as within your control)
  • You also have energy to live life to the fullest
  • Your body sheds excess fat and builds lean muscle
  • If you were underweight, your body fills up
  • All the extra nutrients that you are getting from your food can be used for healthier hair, nails, skin and brain function
  • You feel good about yourself. And sometimes how you feel about yourself is more important than who you are really








Although I have a lot of insight on this issue because of my experience, please note I am no expert nor am I perfect. I still struggle a lot with making the right choices for my body. Sometimes I prioritise what I look like over what my body needs. Even though that's unfortunate. It's important to give yourself grace and love yourself through your 'inadequacies'. We are a one time phenomenon in the universe (paraphrased from Robert Greene). So let's treat ourselves as such. I hope it has truly finally sunk in: health is beauty.


Comments

Popular Posts