My MSc thesis on colourism in the beauty industry






Image from teachnet.ie








Today I thought to share my MSc thesis on colourism in the beauty industry. I wrote this and submitted it in 2019, but I made an error and wrote 2018! I was a bit fed up with the process at the time hence the mistake. This has been something I have been wanting to do for a long time. So here it is. You can download it below.

















Why is this important









Racism is so nuanced it's confusing. But once you identify the nuance, you can't unsee it!! I believe my thesis will open your eyes to how intricate and complex racism is, in all its nuances.









Motivation for my MSc thesis on colourism in the beauty industry









I realise the privileged position that I am in. My family has blessed me with the gift of education and I do not take that for granted. I have always felt the responsibility to advance black voices because not many are heard. So instead of complaining about not being heard, I found a supervisor who believed in me. And told her what I wanted to do with my 'academic gift' as she likes to call it. Out of that feeling of responsibility came this story.









The power of learning and understanding









Although, I have always been committed to advancing black voices, I realise that my knowledge is very limited. I have discovered that there is a privilege that comes with being born in Botswana. When our republic was formed in 1966, it was built on the idea of racial unity and equality. And even though, neighbouring South Africa had racism problems, by the time I was born, there was more optimism. So I am committed to learning. Posting constantly on social media is not good for my mental health. But I want to support the Black Lives Matter movement. So I am going to learn how to support them in a way that impacts change. And then I will share with you guys.









Resources for getting involved in the anti-racism movement

















Feature of the week









Every time I post, I will highlight a cause/influencer/content of the week that you guys should check out. And today's feature is:










https://www.instagram.com/p/CA8fC9gHvxq/








This fight will be long and fierce so take care of yourselves. "Make space for joy, make space for peace" Lee Litumbe









Make space for joy, make space for peace

Lee Litumbe





Comments

Popular Posts