Crumble oh wall - a poem by Lorraine Moalosi










Crumble oh wall - a poem by Lorraine Moalosi (me) is an especially emotional piece for me for many reasons. Firstly, everything I wrote in this is straight from my heart. In fact, I cried as I wrote it. Secondly, I wrote it in five minutes. That's because I was actually praying when the words, 'my self-preservation has become a prison' came to me. So I grabbed my laptop and wrote the pain down. Needless to say, I ugly cried. I find that when something is raw and authentic it comes very quickly. Thirdly, because I wrote it in five minutes, it might not be the best, but that doesn't matter because I am committed to being vulnerable and speaking to others through my pain. And finally, this is my truth. Without further ado here is: Crumble oh wall - a poem by Lorraine Moalosi.









Crumble oh wall









When the darkness descended upon me I learnt to navigate it





Yet a little while, and all feelings will be gone





A wall made of steel and concrete my fortress for survival





Yet here I sit, alone in my room and scared for the future





Scared of the present





Scared that my self-preservation has become a prison that entraps me





In my bid to protect myself from the pain and fear of the unknown





I erected a wall to protect me from it all





And it did protect me from it all





From it all, it protected me





From experiencing the fullness of joy





My heart that once beat with careless abandon for the future that I could forge





Now scared of the blowing of a mild south eastly wind





The wave of the sea approaching me causes my poor heart to retreat to its walls





Now here I sit





Alone in my room





With the realisation that





My self-preservation has become a wall that entraps me





Keeping me away from experiencing the fulness of life





Songs and dreams were all I had





Now in their stead lies fear





Fear that the wall didn’t keep out





But kept locked in





My lover, my friend, my companion who refuses to let me go





 I must have Stockholm syndrome because you have become my comfort





And when you are not here I seek you out





As if you are my life line





In my bid to preserve myself I have cut off my life supply





But now I realise that the pain I tried so hard to keep away





Is what makes joy that much sweeter





So crumble oh wall





I am not your prisoner anymore





I am free





As free as a bird singing in the sky





Now watch me mount my own wings like an eagle





And soar on high









What are you protecting yourself from?









My hope is that from reading this, you would come to the realisation that we are all somehow trying to protect ourselves from one thing or another. And at first, it seems like a good thing. Because we get to hide a little bit and get some reprise from our fears. But left for too long, our self-preservation may imprison us. For example, we stop doing the things we love out of fear of rejection. Or for instance, we overcompensate and try to prove ourselves and end up living for others. So we become fraudsters. Constantly feeling like imposters... because we would be...imposters.





So again, I ask you. So you can ask yourself. What are you protecting yourself from?





Thank you









Thank you so much for making it to the end of Crumble oh wall - a poem by Lorraine Moalosi. So if you would like to support me in my journey towards authentic living please subscribe to my channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu4Wj9F6SLaMekPflXkg5ag. And please read all my other blog posts such as https://www.lorraine-moalosi.com/i-quit-social-media-for-good/ and https://www.lorraine-moalosi.com/real-life-stories-on-going-natural-blackgirlmagic/






Comments

Popular Posts