Holidays: how to pose for photos


Photo by Kai (never mind the foundation on my hand)




The holidays are here! And you have been invited to many parties. You are meeting up with old friends and making new ones. Everywhere you go someone whips out a camera. Or if you are like me, you are the one who whips out the camera! But perhaps you don't know what to do once the camera comes out? Hence this post: Holidays: how to pose for photos. I will give you a few tips to help you thrive over the holidays in the posing department. Without much further ado, let's get into it, Holidays: how to pose for photos.





1. CLASSIC POSE





Photo by Efa




You can never go wrong with this pose. This golden oldie is golden and an oldie because it works for all occasions! And it's very simple. So simple in fact that I have created a formula for it! One leg slightly forward plus relaxed but engaged arms and a big smile equals the classic pose.





One leg slightly forward plus relaxed but engaged arms and a big smile equals the classic pose

Lorraine




This is how you do this pose ladies





  1. Put one leg slightly forward. This elongates your body and makes you look slimmer.
  2. Then make sure your arms are relaxed but engaged. Don't forget you have arms because they will look like dead weight. But don't become acutely aware of them either because then they will look like rigid poles.
  3. Think of something genuinely amusing, exciting or smile worthy. (Read number 4 to know why).
  4. Then smile! Number 3 helps you smile genuinely. Nothing is worse than a fake smile or a smile that doesn't quite reach your eyes.




And there you have it friends! The classic pose. This should be your go to when in doubt. There are a few variations to this pose but the rules remain the same.





VARIATION ONE





Photo by Doyin




  1. One leg slightly forward
  2. Arms relaxed but engaged
  3. Thinking of something amusing
  4. Genuine smile




The difference this time is that my head is facing sideways and up. And one hand is in my pocket while the other is holding on to my phone.





VARIATION TWO









The difference is pretty much the same in this way too. And here are more of the same.





Fierce. Photo by Tamara




Point your toes and look away from camera. No smile. This gives it a more dramatic look. And I love drama (in photos only). More tips on drama to follow.





Photo by Tamara




2. DRAMATIC POSES





This is where you get to experiment and really enjoy the process. For these, firstly, you have to be aware of your body. This ensures that everything in the photo looks intentional and not chaotic. Secondly, you have to use your imagination. If you can see it in your mind's eye, you can definitely do it in reality. Thirdly, when the photo is being taken, tweak your body ever so slightly to get different angles, emotions and moods. Finally, have fun!!





If you can see it in your mind's eye, you can definitely do it in reality





A FEW EXAMPLES









This dramatic look was achieved mainly through the aesthetic of the place. The red moody lighting, the red chair and the fairy lights all combine to create drama. So, first, choose a place with a dramatic atmosphere. Then work with that place to create interesting visuals. In the photos above I used the chair as part of the pose. And I also looked towards the fairy lights, to show interaction. Although I keep my body the same in the photos above, the two moods are very different. This is because in one photo (left) I am smiling with my eyes open and looking happy. While in the other I am smiling with my eyes closed and looking nostalgic.





OTHER DRAMATIC POSES





Photo by Doyin




Never mind my friend's hand!




Photo by Efa




As you can probably tell by my photos, my favourite dramatic pose is doing something with my legs. These poses aren't as simple as the classic pose so unfortunately there is no formula here. But I do have tips for what to do.





  1. Use your imagination (read quote above)
  2. Experiment. You can never really know with these poses until you've tried. So experiment away.
  3. Focus on one aspect at a time. For example, if you are doing something interesting with your legs, don't do something else with your arms. This creates a clash that's more editorial than holiday photos.
  4. And finally, have fun! The more fun you have the more effective and beautiful the photos will look.




P.S I realise I have to learn to edit my photos better so I can remove unwanted objects.





3. SELFIES





Processed with VSCO with m5 preset




These are no oldies but they are golden. Firstly, you don't need someone to take the photo for you so if you are shy about posing, this is your solution. Secondly, because you are alone, you can experiment and really have fun. Lastly, you can show your own style. There a few tips though to taking the ultimate selfie. I won't go into details about selfies because I will create a separate blog post about this soon. But in the mean time, here are a few tips to get you through the holidays.





  1. You need a good clean mirror
  2. Make sure the area where you are taking your photos is clean and organised
  3. Play with poses (experiment lots!)
  4. Play with filters. Apps that I really like are:
    1. VSCO, find it here https://vsco.co/
    2. Snapseed, find it here https://snapseed.online/
  5. Care more for overall effect than individual aspects.




Flowers as an accessory




Experiment with poses




I will do a whole feature on how to take selfies effectively. For me photos are about expressing myself not about aspiring to perfection. I know these photos aren't perfect but they captured my mood and make me happy. So do the same with your photos.





Merry Christmas and a happy new year!


Comments

Popular Posts